Buddy System
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

annushka-the-plague says hello

4 posters

Go down

annushka-the-plague says hello Empty annushka-the-plague says hello

Post by annushka-the-plague Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi there.

I'm a depressed 24 year old Irishwoman, living in the UK for the last 6 months doing a PhD in astronomy.

On the days when I can get out of bed, I like to do my research, go for runs, practise yoga. I have several other half-hearted hobbies; I dabble in bookbinding and embroidery, and I'm trying to learn to read Tarot cards. Not because I believe in that sort of thing, I just like the pretty pictures.

I have a wonderful and supportive boyfriend. He lives back home in Ireland. We try to see each other every fortnight. I worry about him a lot. Some people say that my depression will take its toll on our relationship, that maybe he'll have enough one day and leave me. I really hope that they're wrong. I try not to be too much of a burden but it's hard. I love him very much.

I'm currently trying to find suitable help for myself. But It's difficult to know where to start. I go to the doctor but she can be a little dismissive. I see a therapist who helps me with the practical stuff but doesn't seem to know how to address the depression. I tried drugs, but they made things worse. I'm weaning off them now, on my doctor's advice. I talked to a nice lady at the Samaritans today; that was nice. I wish I could just get up in the morning and do stuff, like a normal person.

So, yeah. Hello.
annushka-the-plague
annushka-the-plague

Back to top Go down

annushka-the-plague says hello Empty Re: annushka-the-plague says hello

Post by Admin Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:18 pm

Welcome! Glad to have you. That's amazing you're getting your PhD! That takes some serious work. Also, how did you get into bookbinding? It sounds like you have a good guy. It makes the world of difference to have someone that accepts you and supports you. A lot of the time when we worry about stuff like that it can be in our heads. And anytime you need to talk or need support, or just the motivation to get out of bed, we're here for you!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://buddysytem.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by annushka-the-plague Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:09 am

Hey Admin,

I learned bookbinding at secondary school art class and it just sort of stuck with me. It's nice to be able to make my own notebooks and sketchbooks. Thanks for putting this forum together, it makes me really happy that people took the time to do a thing like this. Also I love your avatar! It makes me giggle every time I see it Smile
annushka-the-plague
annushka-the-plague

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:55 am

I love me some zoolander haha. It's nice to be able to get a small laugh in when I log on.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by drfingerbutts Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:14 am

Hi!

There seems to be a lot of crafty artsy people here. I like to paint and quilt, but honestly my machine has been in the closet for 2 years. I should take it out...

I've been happily married for 8 years, despite the depression and anxiety. It has been a bit of work since he husband didn't really know what to do at first. Anyway - if you both want it to work it will, ignore the naysayers and do what is best for you. It can work!

drfingerbutts

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:17 am

That's a great attitude to have! Having that support is worth more than gold! I wish I was artsy lol. I am dying to find a new hobby to sink my teech into.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amongstheliving Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Good to see you here annushka-the-plague Wink

I used to play around with Tarot cards! They are super fun.

It's really cool that you are getting a PhD in astronomy! That sounds very hard but fun and interesting

Personally, I think you should get a new doctor/therapist. It works wonders when you have providers that really care for you.
amongstheliving
amongstheliving

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum