Buddy System
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coping methods and strategies

5 posters

Go down

Coping methods and strategies Empty Coping methods and strategies

Post by Admin Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:50 am

Good morning, everyone! I've seen a lot of people say they have different methods of coping with anxiety, depression, lethargy, etc. If you feel you have a particularly good technique you want to share, post it! I personally like to listen to AMV on youtube. I just lookup some electronic music with some of my favorite anime in it and check that out for a bit. I'm the type of person that likes to get out of the here and now, and anime and fiction have always taken me "away" to a place where things can't bother me. RPG video games also have that effect. Working out has helped me in the past as well. Runner's high is REAL! It will make you feel great. If anyone would like any workout tips or anything, let me know! .
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://buddysytem.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Coping methods and strategies Empty Re: Coping methods and strategies

Post by amongstheliving Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:46 am

Music. Music, music, music. This is my main coping method. I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for music.

Distracting myself with other things.

Going out with a friend, even if I really, really don't want to. I always feel better and I'm smiling after, even if I'm exhausted
amongstheliving
amongstheliving

Back to top Go down

Post by MangoFreak Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:54 pm

I also enjoy music when I'm down. It gives me that sense of understanding a lot of the time or snaps me out of a depressed funk(haha...get it...funk? music?...I'll shutup)

I've noticed that dreaming and wanting more in my life sort of helps me cope as well Being able to envision the things that I can become and what I can do eases the feelings of hopelessness.

And finally there is nothing that elevates my mood more than a nice snack or meal. It's an easy way to remember there are things in life that can make you feel good. Especially when its enjoyed with other people!
MangoFreak
MangoFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by drfingerbutts Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:14 pm

Anxiety: learning meditation (helps with breathing and being mindful), nature sound clips on you tube (I think they are meant for sleeping, but I listen to them when I am reading/cleaning/etc), yoga (helps to slow me down and focus on the now), doing a reality check with someone I trust ("I'm thinking xxxx, is that a valid concern?"), pushing the limits (of something makes me anxious, like saying hi to a stranger, I'll make a goal to do that one thing at a certain time)

Depression: writing, painting, walking (even if it is really really slow), sleep it off if I have time, Reading, watching my kids play, asking my kids to talk about one of their passions, hugs & kisses, and let's be honest - sometimes a glass of wine or bowl of ice cream

drfingerbutts

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:57 am

That reality check sounds awesome. i am definitely going to have to get a buddy to run that by. I would love to write, and I've tried a few times, but I get self conscious that what I'm writing is stupid and I don't really know what to write.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://buddysytem.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by drfingerbutts Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:00 am

I just write whatever I'm thinking. There isn't a specific end goal in sight most of the time.

Sometimes, I use writing to communicate. Like if the symptoms (mutism, stuttering, hyperventilation, crying) become too hard to deal with. I had to do it Sunday night with my husband. I felt dumb, but we were able to complete our conversation and I didn't have a panic attack.

drfingerbutts

Back to top Go down

Post by wappened Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:36 pm

Music.

Random acts of Kindness. Just to make myself feel important. So someone might miss me if I disappear.
wappened
wappened

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down