Buddy System
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 2- Challenge Yourself

+3
drfingerbutts
amongstheliving
Admin
7 posters

Go down

Week 2- Challenge Yourself Empty Week 2- Challenge Yourself

Post by Admin Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:19 am

Good morning everyone! I hope your weekends were great. I'd like to issue a challenge to each one of you to make a small step in the direction you are trying to go. If you're not sure what that is, talk to someone here with something similar going on. For example, if you have social anxiety, I challenge you to take a few minutes to just try to talk to someone. If you suffer from crippling depression, take a few minutes to go outside and read, walk, sing, or something that genuinely puts a smile on. Don't worry about how you THINK it will be, just try it. If you need someone to push you or encourage you in your challenge, message one of us! We are all here to help each other grow and push the limits of what is crippling us. I will also challenge myself in battling my anxiety over what I see in the mirror. I spend way too much time staring and hating what I see, when I could just put my clothes on and forget the mirror. I am more than happy to hold anyone accountable and push you to take that step. Message me, a mod, or anyone else on here. We all know what each other goes through, at some level, and we are each others' best chance to make progress! When you have made your attempt, whether you went through with it or did not, post back in week 2. We can work through it until we each get that first step! Have a great day everyone!
-Sal
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://buddysytem.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Week 2- Challenge Yourself Empty Re: Week 2- Challenge Yourself

Post by amongstheliving Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:41 pm

I have been challenging myself lately! I usually stay at home, work, go to school, repeat. Well, this past week I have gone out several times, even going to the theater in the first time in 2 years! (I had an anxiety attack the last time I went to see a movie)

I also bought some books, including Batman comics >Smile I haven't read much lately, but it has always been an escape for me so I will be doing more of that soon

I didn't get to painting or playing guitar this weekend, but I am going to try to soon!
amongstheliving
amongstheliving

Back to top Go down

Post by drfingerbutts Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:50 pm

Hell yeah! You guys are awesome.

This week I am challenging myself to talk loud enough for people (strangers) to hear me. Going to museums to increase the opportunity. It will also address the need of not laying in bed all day. I love museums, but nothing sounds fun. Will be addressing both anxiety and depression.

drfingerbutts

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:12 pm

You go guys! Amongst, pick that guitar back up and read some stuff! Anything that you normally find makes you happy is a good start. And congrats on beating that anxiety and getting out there!
Dr, I feel like a museum is a really good idea for talking to people. It's a good way to get yourself surrounded by people and interact if you feel like you can and want to.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amongstheliving Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:43 pm

Sal,

I bought this dragonball z colored saiyan arc manga!! IT WAS AWESOME!!

My therapist told me to pick up the 5 love languages so my boyfriend and I can implement it into our relationship... I think it's a great idea. It will be "challenging" (this week's topic hehe), but worth it a million times over in the end
amongstheliving
amongstheliving

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:05 pm

The five love languages, if applied, can literally change relationships. I've seen it save marriages and help with my familys issues. Read it. And that manga sounds sickkkkk. Send me a pic!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amongstheliving Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:07 pm

I will as soon as I get home Very Happy I freaking love Raditz
amongstheliving
amongstheliving

Back to top Go down

Post by MangoFreak Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:20 pm

drfingerbutts wrote:Hell yeah! You guys are awesome.

This week I am challenging myself to talk loud enough for people (strangers) to hear me. Going to museums to increase the opportunity. It will also address the need of not laying in bed all day. I love museums, but nothing sounds fun. Will be addressing both anxiety and depression.

SHOUT IT LOUD AND PROUD YO. What kind of museums do you plan on visiting? Art? Archeological?

amongstheliving wrote:I have been challenging myself lately! I usually stay at home, work, go to school, repeat. Well, this past week I have gone out several times, even going to the theater in the first time in 2 years! (I had an anxiety attack the last time I went to see a movie)

I also bought some books, including Batman comics >Smile I haven't read much lately, but it has always been an escape for me so I will be doing more of that soon

I didn't get to painting or playing guitar this weekend, but I am going to try to soon!

SPREAD YOUR WINGS AND FLYYYYY SAMMI. Then rock out and shit. What did you do when you went out?
MangoFreak
MangoFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by annushka-the-plague Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:42 am

You are all such an inspiration Smile

AMT, I've spoken with my boyfriend about the five love languages too. I think it's really cool; I've been meaning to learn more about it myself. Hope everything goes well!

Doctor, I love the museum! On my bad days, I go there sometimes so as to get used to being around people again. My favourite thing to do is to go into the vivarium and help people find the lizards among the foliage. I have a knack for spotting them.

Admin, well, all I can say is that every time I picture you in my head, I see Derek Zoolander. I, too, have to forget about the mirror sometimes when I leave the house in the morning. Lately, I've taken to just waking up, throwing on whatever is closest to the bed, and leaving the flat before I have time to think about it. Makes me feel like I'm living on the edge :p

This week I am challenging myself to sit down in the library or at my desk every day, and try and get some work on my PhD done. I miss research. I used to love it. I feel great when I'm making progress.

So this is a week of brute force. I will take all the time I need to get my thoughts together, overcome the panic, and get some things done. Big or small, doesn't matter. Not as much as my supervisor was expecting? Who cares! I'm doing this for me, not for him. I will celebrate and reward myself for any bit of progress that I make Smile
annushka-the-plague
annushka-the-plague

Back to top Go down

Post by amongstheliving Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:37 pm

annushka-the-plague wrote:
This week I am challenging myself to sit down in the library or at my desk every day, and try and get some work on my PhD done. I miss research. I used to love it. I feel great when I'm making progress.

This is so cool. You are so cool. I think people who get PhD's are amazing ...you need great work ethic, a brain, and a passion for what you do.

MangoFreak wrote:SPREAD YOUR WINGS AND FLYYYYY SAMMI. Then rock out and shit. What did you do when you went out?

I BELIEVE I CAN FLYYYY!! Last Monday, I went and saw Need For Speed with someone (Aaron) I hadn't seen in 3ish years. He's a nice kid (4 years younger than me), even if he has gotten into some trouble in the past. Before going to the movie (I have been in 2 years due to anxiety), I hung out with my mom and had a lot of fun. Then, on Wednesday and Thursday, I went out to the bar with my classmates. (aaaand one of them with a troubled marriage has a crush on me @_@) Friday, I got high, went to dairy queen (mmm), and then met my parents at the moose lodge. Saturday, I went to a kickback one of my oldest best friends (Cayla) was throwing, after picking up the guy from Monday. After Cayla passed out and her fiance said he was going to bed, too, Aaron and I drove around and smoked pot. It was sweeeet.
amongstheliving
amongstheliving

Back to top Go down

Post by annushka-the-plague Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:22 pm

amongstheliving wrote:I think people who get PhD's are amazing ...you need great work ethic, a brain, and a passion for what you do.

Hehehe most days I feel like I have none of those things :p But I think I can get them back someday.

Sounds like you had a great week - but watch that co-worker; sounds like drama ahead with that one :p I have a similar situation right now I think. Having a long distance boyfriend sucks in that regard (well in all regards actually), especially when you're a student, working in a male-dominated field - I try to drop his name casually around guys I know every so often, just so they remember he exists.

Not like I think everyone likes me or anything, but better safe than sorry!
annushka-the-plague
annushka-the-plague

Back to top Go down

Post by MangoFreak Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:27 am

I normally have pretty bad social anxiety so this week I wanted to step outside my comfort zone a bit. Tonight I actually dared to get up in front of a bunch of strangers and sing karaoke!(with minimal alcohol in my system too!) It was actually a lot of fun and I think I might give it another go sometime.

I'd say I effectively stomped my challenge for the week.
MangoFreak
MangoFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by drfingerbutts Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:13 am

Woo! What did you sing?

drfingerbutts

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:45 am

Hey good job GUYS! I'm proud of you all and I'm happy you're taking baby steps in the right direction.

Mango, MAD PROPS! You nailed the assignment! Think you can recreate it next week?

AMT, you are a boss! Keep being happy and enjoying the people that love you. The little things that make us happy are usually what we can look forward to daily!

Annushka, great work trying to nail that work. Sounds tough as hell! But I'm sure you got it! Sit down and finish up! Then we can call you Dr. Annushka!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MangoFreak Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:30 am

drfingerbutts wrote:Woo! What did you sing?

Fly Me to the Moon. It's one of my all time favorite songs.

Admin wrote:Mango, MAD PROPS! You nailed the assignment! Think you can recreate it next week?

Hopefully! If I can do that then I think I can manage anything now, haha.
MangoFreak
MangoFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by wappened Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:16 pm

Rekindle an old friendship.

Quit that shitty job.

Pushing forward towards my goals.
Not letting BS slow me down.

gaining more and more HOPE for the future.
I know I can do "it".

now, just have to figure out what "IT" is..

Dutch Maffia- Break My Stride (HI_TACK Remix)
https://youtu.be/Tg_87NF0LEE
(play at high volume. repeat when necessary.)
wappened
wappened

Back to top Go down

Post by annushka-the-plague Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:07 am

Admin wrote:Annushka, great work trying to nail that work. Sounds tough as hell! But I'm sure you got it! Sit down and finish up! Then we can call you Dr. Annushka!

Smile It's an uphill struggle but encouragement always helps!
annushka-the-plague
annushka-the-plague

Back to top Go down

Post by chameleongirl Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:43 am

I'm trying to get the courage to discuss with my therapist and psychiatrist that I might have an additional disorder/have been misdiagnosed. I had an epiphany after hearing a speaker talk about her experiences with BPD and I felt like she described me inside and out. It was kinda scary how accurate it was. My psychiatrist (who didn't really care about my thoughts on how I think my treatment should go) is no longer seeing patients at my office and I will now see the younger psychiatrist, whom I saw when I hospitalized myself because I felt suicidal. I am really interested in DBT and want to hear what they think. Here's to hopefully moving towards a treatment that will help me!

chameleongirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum