Buddy System
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help us help you!

4 posters

Go down

Help us help you! Empty Help us help you!

Post by Admin Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:32 am

This forum willl be used to monitor what we can help each other with. This is a place to post what the issues are that you deal with, what you struggle with, and how we can help you. Others with similar challenges can offer insight and advice, support, motivation, and relate to their own lives.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://buddysytem.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Help us help you! Empty Re: Help us help you!

Post by TwinMonkeys Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:26 pm

I'll start. After seeing a psychiatrist and getting my prescription, I'm starting my meds tomorrow. My biggest fear is having what my doctor called a "paradoxical reaction", where I actually feel worse than when I began, potentially leading me to commit suicide. So if there's anyone on the antidepressants, how well have they worked for you? Should there be anything I might need to know before beginning?

TwinMonkeys

Back to top Go down

Post by MangoFreak Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:34 pm

TwinMonkeys wrote:I'll start. After seeing a psychiatrist and getting my prescription, I'm starting my meds tomorrow. My biggest fear is having what my doctor called a "paradoxical reaction", where I actually feel worse than when I began, potentially leading me to commit suicide. So if there's anyone on the antidepressants, how well have they worked for you? Should there be anything I might need to know before beginning?

I have not taken antidepressants myself, but I know someone who has and I really would never have thought they were depressed unless I was told, so I guess its a sign that they can work very well. Just make sure you take them regularly as I recall an incident where the same person tried to get off of them and ended up having a total meltdown. They didn't commit suicide or try to but...it was kind of a bad scene.

You can also make sure you have a line ready to call if you do feel suicidal, create something of a safety net. Leave notes telling yourself it may be the medicine that's making you feel that way as an anchor to your common sense.
MangoFreak
MangoFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:41 pm

Definitely have someone you can call and the notes is a great idea. I've had a reaction to meds before and they brought me down at first. After changing them, I was much better. Just don't continue to take them if you ever think they're affecting you negatively.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TwinMonkeys Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:43 pm

Thanks, friends. It's much nicer to get advice from people who've actually been here. I'll take the advice. Better safe than sorry, after all.

TwinMonkeys

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:06 am

If you need anyone to call, PM me. I'm always available.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by drfingerbutts Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:07 pm

Monkey: how is it going on the new meds?

I'm going through an adjustment period myself. It is hard, but I applied for leave through fmla. It is giving me time to practice all the things I need to get better. And it is nice not feeling like I'm overwhelmed. I feel really bad when things go over the edge in my mind and I get cranky or tell at the kids.

drfingerbutts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum