Buddy System
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ohm ohm ohmmmm

2 posters

Go down

ohm ohm ohmmmm Empty ohm ohm ohmmmm

Post by drfingerbutts Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:23 pm

Hello. I'm a mom in New england. I've had depression and anxiety pretty much forever. Some info about me...

Hobbies: reading, painting, light exercise (walking, yoga, hiking), playing with my kids, listening to music (esp Pearl Jam!?!), gardening, cooking

Religion: none

Education: MEd in early childhood

Work: teacher

Treatment: medication for both anxiety and depression, also for panic attacks. 1 on 1 cbt, just stated a dbt group, and I'm studying mindfulness, meditation, and yoga on my own.

drfingerbutts

Back to top Go down

ohm ohm ohmmmm Empty Re: ohm ohm ohmmmm

Post by geneticblizzard Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:34 pm

Hello Dr.Fingerbutts!

You like reading? What are your favorite books?

I'm curious as to how much you feel like the whole Yoga/mindfulness thing helps you. My mother has been trying to get me into that.

geneticblizzard

Back to top Go down

Post by drfingerbutts Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi!

Right now I'm reading the robot series by Asimov. Some favorites are vonnegut, salinger, Douglas Adams, Philip dick, Ray bradberry. Lots of Sci Fi and fantasy.

I'm also reading The Antidote by Oliver burkeman. It seems good. It encourages a realist calm, which is what I've kind of grown to understand from meditation. I just really started it about 3 weeks ago, so I am still learning. It has helped already though. I was able to talk myself out of a panic attack yesterday - hurray me!

drfingerbutts

Back to top Go down

Post by geneticblizzard Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:43 pm

drfingerbutts wrote:Hi!  

Right now I'm reading the robot series by Asimov. Some favorites are vonnegut, salinger, Douglas Adams, Philip dick, Ray bradberry. Lots of Sci Fi and fantasy.

I'm also reading The Antidote by Oliver burkeman. It seems good. It encourages a realist calm, which is what I've kind of grown to understand from meditation. I just really started it about 3 weeks ago, so I am still learning. It has helped already though. I was able to talk myself out of a panic attack yesterday - hurray me!

Well, while I recognize the names, I can't say I've ever read any of their works! You must be very well read. I think the only sci-fi I've ever really read was Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, which is also my favorite book.

I'm glad to hear mindfulness is working for you! Maybe I'll have to try it after all.

geneticblizzard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum